Sunday, November 4, 2007

Egg on egg goodness


One of (my particular) life's simple pleasures is a fried egg sandwich. It's ready in a flash, it's warm, it's a great vehicle for fried cheese, it's egg-on-egg goodness.

I discovered fried cheese in the form of raclette as a young girl. My family was living in Switzerland at the time, and we would take ski trips in France every winter. After a full day of skiing, we often went and ate cheese and ice cream for dinner (those were the days). Fondue or Raclette. While most of us are familiar with fondue, raclette hasn't gained the same sort of name recognition here in the Staes, and I'm not sure why. It's delicious. Raclette cheese, cooked on a hot griddle until it forms a crust. Served with boiled potatoes, pickles, and onions.

I came upon frying the cheese in this sandwich last year when some of the cheese I melted on top of the egg sneaked off the side and fried on the hot pan. It brought the sandwich to a whole new level.

My preference is 2 egg whites, no yolk. The yolk is delicious, but it's just too rich for me with the cheese. My preference is also for mayo on both slices of toast. Egg-on-egg fantastico. One day, I will make the mayo from scratch. And then I will have reached a state of lunch nirvana not yet seen at my kitchen table.

Get everything ready, because it goes fast:

2 egg whites, with a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper
Sliced avocado
Thin slices of cheese, I usually use cheddar.

Get a non-stick pan or cast-iron pan nice and hot. Spray some cooking oil in there, pour your eggs in. Pop the bread in the toaster. When egg has browned on the bottom (about 1 min or less), flip it and top the cooked side with cheese. When the bottom side has browned, flip it back over so that the melty cheese fries in its own fat- this will take less than a minute.

Somewhere in there, slather mayo on your toast.
Transfer the egg to the bread, top with avocado, sprinkle avocado very lightly with salt (I'm a salt fiend). Top with other slice of bread.

I'd recommend potato chips, sliced apple, and a root beer as accompaniment.

No comments: